How to Quote a Book in an Essay : Incorporating a Short Quote
- Incorporate short quotes into a sentence. A short quote which can be shorter than 4 typed lines.
- Use a lead-in to make an introduction to the quote. The lead-in gives context to the quote.
- Put quotation marks around the quote.
- Use commentary followed by a quote explaining its support to the essay.
- Paraphrase the quote.
Other Question and Answers that can be helpful for you
1. How do you cite an essay in MLA format?
- Essays. MLA recommends that when dividing an essay into sections you number those sections with an Arabic number and a period followed by a space and the section name.
- Sample Section Headings.
2. How to properly cite in text MLA?
To make an MLA 9 citation for a website, you will need the following pieces of information:
- author’s name
- title of the article or page
- title of the website
- name of the publisher (Note: Only include the name of the publisher when it differs from the name of the website.)
- date the page or site was published (if available)
3. How do you format a quote in MLA format?
To format a block quote in MLA, start by introducing the quote with a short sentence that ends with a colon or comma. Then, insert the quote on a new line without quotation marks. After you insert the quote, indent the entire block of text so it’s 1/2 an inch from the left margin.
4. How do you quote a quote in MLA format?
Quoting in MLA
- Accuracy. Writers must always accurately quote the source.
- Quoting Prose. The rules for quoting prose vary according to how much you quote.
- Additional Special Issues. There may be some occasions when you need to alter a quote in order to prevent the audience from becoming confused.