How to Cite an Essay
- Method 1 of 3: MLA Download Article. Start your Works Cited entry with the author of the essay.
- Method 2 of 3: APA Download Article. Place the author’s name first in your Reference List entry.
- Method 3 of 3: Chicago Download Article. Start your Bibliography entry with the name of the author of the essay.
Other Question and Answers that can be helpful for you
1. How do you cite at the end of an essay?
Method 1 of 3: MLA
- Start your Works Cited entry with the author of the essay. Type the last name of the author of the essay first, followed by a comma.
- List the title of the essay in quotation marks. After the author’s name, type the title of the essay in title case, capitalizing the first word and all nouns,
- Provide the title and authors or editors of the larger work. Type the title of the larger work in italics, also using title case.
2. How to correctly cite quotes in an essay?
- An MLA citation will look like this: (Lopez 24)
- For sources with multiple authors, separate their names with the word “and:” (Anderson and Smith 55-56) or (Taylor, Gomez, and Austin 89)
- If you use the author’s name in your lead-in to the quote, you just need to provide the year in parentheses: According to Luz Lopez, “the green grass symbolizes a
3. How to properly cite a source in an essay?
Use the author’s last name and year of publication for in-text citations.
- For example, you might write: By using a time turner, a witch or wizard can appear to others as though they are actually in two places at once (Granger, 2018).
- If you use the author’s name in the text of your paper, include the parenthetical with the year immediately after the author’s name.
- Add page numbers if you quote directly from the source.
4. How do you cite quote from an essay?
Use direct quotations rather than paraphrasing:
- when reproducing an exact definition (see Section 6.22 of the Publication Manual ),
- when an author has said something memorably or succinctly, or
- when you want to respond to exact wording (e.g., something someone said).